My Zero Waste Skin Care Routine 6 Months In

These six months series are all about my experience trying zero waste after six months. Looking at how things have changed. At the beginning I tried to go completely zero waste/plastic free but now I realise that you try your best and do what is best for you. I make my own or buy when it's easiest.

Please note that I don't have the perfect skin care routine. I'm pretty lazy and often forget to wash my makeup off...just like all of you ;)

I researched as much as I could to find the best skin care routines with the least amount of waste and plastic. So here goes:


Everyday cleanser



Ever since micellar water was known to me I loved it but most of the time it comes in plastic. I have been lucky enough to find a refill shop in my area which sells micellar water by glass bottle. If you give the glass bottle back to them, they then only charge you for the water. Micellar water is an all in one cleanser, toner and moisturiser so it's almost the only produce you need for the face. I use it with a reusable wipe (which I bought from Amazon. Once used I put in the small wash bag provided. They are made from bamboo so can be composted once finished) and cleanse once in the morning and twice before bed if I've had makeup on.

In the shower

In the shower I use this soap on a rope (which saves storage space) that has olive oil in it for an in shower cleanser and moisturiser which means I don't have to moisturise after the shower every time! I got this from a handmade soap company. I use this on my body and face.







I use a konjac sponge which is a natural sponge from the seas of Japan. They can be expensive but they are softer than a loofah and less expensive than the average sea sponge. They are good for sensitive skin and can be composted at the end of its life. I get mine without packaging from the local refill shop. It's important to use soap with water all over you body to clean any oils, bacteria and virus'.



I choose to shave and use some shaving soap I got from a plastic free company in the UK, and I use it with a soap bag which helps froth it up and saves the soap scraps until the very end. I also use a metal shaver which will last a lifetime and I only need to replace the metal blades. I have found this gives me a better shave.
A body scrub is good for getting rid of dead skin and can stop shaving rash. I make my own with oil (I used corn oil because that's what I use in my cooking but you can use olive oil or any liquid oil that doesn't have a strong smell) and brown sugar. I keep it in an old honey jar.







After the shower

 Once a week I soak my feet in some warm water and a cup of apple cider vinegar (to kill bacteria). Unfortunately I have got to that age and I walk a lot and roller skate. After a 15 minute soak, I file, scrub and moisturise with coconut oil.
For an intense face wash I make my own. I don't use this much but it is good to use at least once a month. I make it by mixing coconut oil, bicarbonate of soda, honey and a few tea tree oil kept in an old jar. All the ingredients are anti inflammatory and antibacterial. Leave on for a minute and wash with a konjac sponge. If I have a spot I add some extra tea tree oil directly on the spot before bed.


After the shower I spray a bit of rose water on to my face which acts like a toner. I bought that water from Amazon which comes in a glass bottle and then added it to an old spray bottle I had. 
For a facial moisturiser I use rose hip oil. It's good for the face and can be better for the face skin than coconut oil.
Finally I use this as an all over body moisturiser. I use extra virgin coconut oil which is a great moisturiser and I already have it in the house for all kinds of things.

I also use this for moisturising my hands after washing my hands or cleaning.






References:





Comments